Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Power

 


Today's photo is from my PLD journal. As you can see I do like a bit of bullet journaling. The notes on this page are from a PLD session lead by Perry Rush. I was reminded again about why I think the idea of a student-centered focus in education is problematic as it still results in an imbalance of power structures. I am more interested in how I might become a genuine partner and collaborator in the learning journey of a student. My reasons for shifting to this position are long and complex. But in a nutshell, our society is full of stories that show what happens when there is an imbalance of power. I talk more about how I came to reframe how I thought about power sharing in the classroom in this post. In particular, I talk about how I am increasingly convinced that a lack of power contributes significantly to the disparities we see in the academic achievement of Māori and Pasifika students. 

("It's been a little while since I've blogged regularly so to get back in the habit, I thought I would share one photo every day for the remainder of the school year to capture some of my learning, reflections, and creations for 2022. Each photo is accompanied by a short caption. The idea is to keep it short, simple, and reflective. I would love for people to join me - if you do, make sure you include #edphoto22 on whatever platform you share it (Twitter, Mastodon, Facebook, Instagram, wherever...)." 

No comments:

Post a Comment